Providing for the wellbeing of our employees is a critical focus for Elcowire. We have a group-wide zero-accident vision that guides our risk assessment strategy.
health & safety
Providing for the wellbeing of our employees is a critical focus for Elcowire. We track progress for occupational health and safety along three key parameters: risk alerts, accidents and absence. All sites have safety and risk evaluation initiatives according to local needs, and each conducts reporting on a monthly basis as we work to establishing common OHS standards across the group.
Elcowire has a group-wide zero-accident vision that guides our risk assessment strategy. Since 2012, we have focused on preventing incidents by continuously identifying, registering and analysing risks. Safety is a collective effort, and each employee is involved with pinpointing at least one potential risk each year.
These risk alerts support continuous improvement in ensuring safe and positive environments for all members of our team. In 2020, 99 risk alerts were registered at our site in Helsingborg, Sweden, and 67 were registered at the Hettstedt facility in Germany.
As a response to the unique challenges brought on by the pandemic in 2020, we also instituted a number of measures across all facilities to prevent the spread of COVID-19 among our workforce. This was on top of a number of other new health and safety efforts, including the implementation of:
• Medical check-ups for nightshift workers and those working with UV radiation
• Use of new, safer transport racks
• A computer program for in-court organisation (GEORG: the software supports compliance with standards, rules and regulations).
• Safety inspection for pallet trucks
• Improved waste handling with plastic belts
• New, faster outside portal drive for reduced draft
• Five improvements in the “kaizen activities”
A total of six safety improvements across the group are a direct result of the risk alerts provided by our employees.